Historical records with information from our ancestors
With the passage of time, in each Italian region a variety of documents were generated that keep data of our ancestors. These records vary according to the time and the Italian region, since Italy as the country we know today, originated from the Unification.
Among the historical documents best known and explored by researchers, we can mention:
- Italian certificates (birth or baptismal, marriage and death certificates generated by civil registries and parishes.
- Censuses conducted in Italy In Italy, several censuses were carried out, enumerations of the population carried out by governments for different purposes. After Unification, an almost unique system of recording and controlling family changes began.
- Cadastres and property registers
- Military documents The documents generated with the Italian military service have a great importance in genealogy because they allow to find out the place of birth of the ancestor, in addition to providing information about his military history.
- Italian Archives To which we must go to request a copy of the documents that contain information of our ancestor.
- Model notes / emails in Italian to request minutes and documentation from the archives