How to request an Italian game?
Italian birth certificates (as well as marriage and death certificates) are issued by the Ufficio Stato Civile. But, depending on the time and place in Italy where the ancestor was born, in some cases we will have to request the items from the parishes, since the Italian civil registry worked with certain intermittencies. When requesting minutes from Italy we have to take into account two aspects: 1
- In Italy there are at least two ways to issue an act: estratto and copia integrale (di nascita, matrimonio, morte)
- There are some limitations for games less than 100 years old.
Modalities for issuing a record
- Request Estratto (Extract) The excerpts contain first and last name, date and place of the event. Only on request are the paternity and maternity data, the time of the event and any annotations at the foot and at the margin of the game detailed. They are made on pre-printed forms (in French and Italian, generally), which the civil registry officer completes with the corresponding data. It is common for Italian communes to issue items in this format, since this is what is established by the regulation of the Demographic Services. This certificate is valid for Italian citizenship procedures, but the data it provides for the genealogical search are scarce.
- Integral copy (photocopy) Integral copies are copies according to the original or photocopies. If we do not specify that we want a photocopy of the consignment, by default, the civil registry will send us an extract, which is what is established by Italian regulations. Decree No. 396 of 3 November 2000 provides that photocopies of civil registry records may be issued only when a valid quando ne è fatta espressa richiesta (only when an express request is made).
So, if we want to request a record and we hope to obtain all the information from it we have two ways to do it:
- Request a full copy or photocopy of the minutes
- Solicitar estratto per riassunto con indicazione de paternitá e maternità (extract with indication of paternity and maternity (less complete).
These considerations are valid for minutes that are more than 100/110 years old. Estratti and copie integrali are issued free of charge, except in some communes that require a minimum tariff (usually less than 10 euros).
Minutes less than 100/110 years old
For subsequent acts and under privacy laws, other conditions apply. Here comes into play the expression chiunque abbia interest that does not refer to who has a particular interest in an act (for example historical research) but to the interested party himself.
- The integral copies or the estratti with indication of paternity and maternity can only be requested by the interested party or by another person with a note from the interested party authorizing and adding a copy of his identity document.
- In the event that a third person manages a birth certificate without authorization or a copy of the document of the interested party, only one estratto of the certificate will be issued.
Therefore, if we have to request a record of a person who lived less than 100 years ago we will request it as:
- copia integrale dell'atto o como estratto per riassunto con identificazione di paternitá e maternità
- basing in our request the reasons why we requested such a document (family historical research)
- presented the documentation that supports the relationship and a valid identity document. The application is filed together with the documentation that was submitted.
This is very important in cases involving Italian citizenship, when it comes to, for example, having our citizenship and managing a copy ofour birth certificate transcribed in Italy.
- Referencias: Aportes de María Grizzutti (voluntaria colaboradora de numerosos foros de ciudadanía y genealogía italiana con más de 20 años de experiencia en el tema). http://www.genealogica.it/stato_civile.htm http://www.comune.massa.ms.it/?q=node/270 http://www.comune.pordenone.it/comune/servizi_cittadino/procedimento?id=200 Norme di riferimento: Regio Decreto 9 luglio 1939, n. 1238 – Ordinamento dello Stato Civile Legge 29 dicembre 1990, n.405 – Disposizioni per la Formazione del bilancio annuale e pluriennale dello Stato (legge finanziaria 1991) Legge 15 maggio 1997, n. 127 – Misure urgenti per lo snellimento dell’attività amministrativa e dei procedimenti di decisione e di controllo. Legge 16 giugno 1998, n. 191 – Modifiche ed integrazioni alle leggi 15 marzo 1997, n. 59, e 15 maggio 1997, n. 127, nonché norme in materia di formazione del personale dipendente e di lavoro a distanza nelle pubbliche amministrazioni. Disposizioni in materia di edilizia scolastica. Collegato alla legge di bilancio dello Stato per l’anno 1998. D.P.R. 3 novembre 2000, n.396 – Presidente della Repubblica – Decreto – Regolamento per la revisione e la semplificazione dell’ordinamento dello stato civile, a norma dell’articolo 2, comma 12, della legge 15 maggio 1997, n. 127 ↩